Our house league is a great place for the beginner hockey player to learn to skate, learn the fundamentals of ice hockey and make new friendships likely to last a lifetime!
For kids who have never skated before, have shown an interest in hockey, or even late bloomers and skaters with only a little experience but eager to learn more, we have a program suitable for kids ages 4 and up!
Our House League has two practice ice sessions per week on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons and typically runs from the beginning of November through March. We adhere to the American Developmental Model for age appropriate instruction and emphasize fun for the new player!
If you have just moved to the area and missed the start of the season, no worries! We can work with players being added at pretty much any point in the year, so don't hesitate to reach out to the registrar.
Check back regularly to the SRIYHA website calendar for scheduling changes and updates.
We would love to have your family join us! Please see the link above for registration information or email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The typical practice schedule is:
Level 1 and 2 (Learn to skate & Learn to Play) Saturdays 8am, Sundays 3pm
- Level 1 - Focus on the fundamentals. New youngsters to the ice start off with the use of a sled or crate to hold on to and learn the basics of feeling the skates under them.
- Level 2 - Players can stand and move without the use of the sled or crate. Progress to skating and feeling the edges of their skates. Basic starting and stopping.
Level 3 and 4 (Mite and Squirt House League)* Saturdays 9am, Sundays 4pm
- Level 3 - Learn to play. Able to skate with and without the stick. Begin skating with a puck and we begin drills using cones and obstacles.
- Level 4 - Advancement in play and stick handling. Can begin to stop using both edges of the skates and begin to skate backwards.
** Level 3 and 4 will also progress into team breakouts and play cross ice games***
Level 5 and 6 (Advanced Squirt, Peewee, Bantam House League)* Saturdays 10am, Sundays 5pm
- Advanced skaters to just starting out. Skaters are 9 years (Birth Year 2009 and before) and older and can follow drills and instructions from the coaches.
***Level 5-6 Has set teams and full ice games during the year***
*Please note: Players must pass ADM age appropriate skating skills evaluation to advance to upper levels.